This post was contributed by Leah who wanted to share information about the charitable partnerships Convoy of Hope Ministries has recently made. As a mom, I often feel like I don’t know how to get involved in making impacts in our world. Leah was more than happy to answer my questions, share Convoy of Hope’s ministry, and provide ideas on how we can support them.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of notable causes around the world that are working to give others in need a shot at a better life. Just as those people need organizations to step up and help, those organizations need us to help help and join the cause too. Convoy of Hope is one such organization with an incredibly worthy cause.
Convoy of Hope is a faith-based, not-for-profit, humanitarian-relief organization bringing about change throughout the U.S. (they’re currently responding to all of the flooding in the Midwest) and around the world. Their main goal is to “bring help and hope to those who are impoverished, hungry, and hurting.” They’re able to provide this assistance by providing food, water, and emergency supplies, as well as opportunities that work to empower people so that they can escape lives riddled with disease, poverty, and hunger. Since the organization’s inception back in 1994, Convoy of Hope has been comprised of over half a million volunteers working to serve over 80 million people. Their initiative is truly one where every dollar raised counts. 90% of their funds go directly toward the programs and services it delivers (the remaining 10% goes toward administrative overhead and costs associated with holding fundraising events).
To put their efforts into perspective, they’ve done an incredible amount of work thus far in terms of their response to the disastrous amount of flooding in the Midwest, particularly in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Missouri Governor Eric Greitens had declared a state of emergency and Convoy of Hope immediately went into action. Over the last few weeks, their efforts have resulted in hundreds of volunteers serving 40,000 flood survivors in 27 different communities with over 750,000 pounds of emergency supplies.
It’s encouraging to see how much of an impact we can make in our communities when we rally around a common cause. Here are some ways that everyone can get involved in the work that Convoy of Hope does:
Spend time volunteering
Serving others is one of the best ways to get involved in your surrounding community. You’ll see results every day and the immediate impact, but you’ll also be practicing some responsibility to those in your community who need your help. Convoy of Hope hosts several community events and offers disaster response all over. You can learn more about both on their volunteer page here.
Share with others
We surround ourselves with people who have similar interests as us. Don’t be afraid to discuss any charities or causes that are important to you. Chances are, they’ll be equally important to your friends and loved ones. The more people that know the cause, the more we can help those who need it most.
Support Convoy of Hope partners There are 30 partners helping to contribute everything they can to Convoy of Hope’s overall mission. There are name brands, companies, and even other charitable organizations pitching in. Some recognizable names are Plum Organics, Home Depot, Walgreens, and the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Supporting one or two, even a handful of them will bring about so much good. One that recently joined the cause is a company called Pure Flix. Through their streaming service of Christian movies, they’re currently working toward a goal of contributing $100,000 worth of food, clothing, and medicine to those desperately in need.
Give whatever you can
We all have different responsibilities to take care of, but donating is such an easy and efficient way to bring about change. Every single dollar is contributing to an overall mission that means a lot to you. Not only that, but your donations help a person or sometimes even an entire family. If you visit Convoy of Hope’s donation page, you’re even able to select exactly which initiative you’d like to contribute to. There are options to fund community events and disaster response, efforts to rid childhood hunger, and women’s empowerment initiatives among others.
Please consider sharing Convoy of Hope’s mission with others, and pledge to get involved any way you can. These volunteers, based all over the world, are working tirelessly and they could use all the support they can get. The more awareness we’re able to bring to Convoy of Hope’s cause, the more we’re able to help.