When I saw Sonya Shafer at the Teach Them Diligently conference almost two years ago now, she gave a seminar on nature study. She pulled verses out of the Bible that told us to consider things in nature-
- Consider the ant (Proverbs 6:6)
- Consider the lily (Matthew 6:28)
- Consider the birds (Matthew 6:26)
These thoughts have inspired me to not only keep going with nature study when I don't feel like it, but to look more closely at the creatures that the Bible mentions.
Matthew 10:29-31 says
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
This verse from Matthew encouraged me to look more closely at the sparrows in our neighborhood. It's easy to overlook these little creatures, but I've learned that they can serve as a constant reminder of God's faithfulness to us. This idea is the basis for my latest curriculum for homeschoolers (and others!)
Sparrow Nature Study
The Sparrow Scripture + Nature study is full of literary language and inspirational thoughts of God. This study considers three types of sparrows: the House Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, and Fox Sparrow. Scripture and the hymn "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" are intertwined with literary information about these birds.
in this study, your child, ages 6-9 will:
- Observe original watercolor paintings of the birds that are being studied
- Look at pictures of birds
- Investigate certain characteristics of birds with hands-on experiments
- Study Biblical passages from Matthew
- Learn the hymn "His Eye is on the Sparrow"
- Learn about the author of "His Eye is on the Sparrow"
- Practice copywork passages, either with guided tracing or without, of scripture and portions of the hymn
- Read about sparrows from portions of 100 Birds Every Child Should Know by Neltje Blanchan
- Learn about House Sparrows through original writing by Leah Martin
As is the case with all of my resources, a the age limit isn't concrete. Children under 6 will enjoy studying the birds and scripture, but you might not want them to do the copywork yet. Children older than 9 will enjoy the study as well, because I make sure to not water things down.
You can get a peek inside this study below:
This sparrow nature study is only available in the Glory Due His Name eBook, a 730-page resource full of beautiful opportunities for your young child, preschool through grade 3, to learn about Jesus.
Glory Due His Name is a joint collaboration of 25 bloggers who make homeschool resources that point to our maker. Some contributions are long and in-depth, like the Armor of God study from Little Shoots Deep Roots. Others are shorter, sweet little printables that would be perfect for morning time, like movement and Bible affirmation cards from Kindle Togetherness.
I am planning to use the Scripture cards, prayer cards, and Bible studies during our morning time over the course of the next year. I'll also print off the pattern block templates and Play-doh mats for my little guy to play with while everyone else is caught up in lessons.
You can learn more about the Glory Due His name eBook here.